Bears Sited - Please Exercise CautionPublished on October 13, 2020
Ontario is asking area residents to take the necessary steps to help keep bears out of local neighbourhoods.
There have been several bear sightings in the Kenora area, including Keewatin and areas surrounding Lake of the Woods. Bears are looking for any available food sources, including garbage.
To avoid bear problems:
· Store garbage securely in an enclosed storage area and only put out garbage on the morning of collection
· Clean food residue and remove grease from outdoor barbecue grills after each use
· Put away bird feeders until winter
· Keep pet food indoors
· Pick ripe fruit from trees and off the ground.
Removing these attractants can help keep bears out of the area and help keep communities safe.
· If a bear poses an immediate threat to public safety by exhibiting threatening or aggressive behaviour, call 911 or your local police at 807-548-5534.
· For advice about removing bear attractants, call the Bear Wise reporting line toll-free at 1-866-514-2327, Hearing Impaired (TTY) 1-705-945-7641. You will be connected directly with a live operator during bear season (April 1 to November 30).
LEARN MORE · What to do in emergency and non-emergency situations: https://www.ontario.ca/page/prevent-bear-encounters-bear-wise . · Read more about bears: ontario.ca/bearwise.